Repertoire des Mariages de L'Ile d'Orleans, 1679 - 1984
Ile-d'Orleans (1679-1984). 558 pages. ÃŽle d'OrlÃ©ans is located in the St. Lawrence River about 20 km to the east of Quebec City's downtown, Quebec, Canada. It was originally called Minigo by the Huron. The French explorer Jacques Cartier first set foot on the island in 1535 near what is now the village of Saint-FranÃ§ois. He called it ÃŽle de Bacchus because of the abundance of wild grapes growing on the island. The name was later changed to ÃŽle d'OrlÃ©ans in honour of the King of France. The island was one of the first parts of the province to be settled by the French, and a large percentage of French Canadians can trace their ancestry to the island. Today the island is a mix of suburban communities and farms, and is a popular destination for daytrippers and bicyclists. The island is still a very rural place famous locally for its produce, especially its strawberries, apples and potatoes. There are also sugar maple stands producing maple syrup and other products. There is also a buffalo farm. The island comprises the towns of Sainte-Famille, Saint-FranÃ§ois-de-l'ÃŽle-d'OrlÃ©ans, Saint-Jean-de-l'ÃŽle-d'OrlÃ©ans, Saint-Laurent-de-l'ÃŽle-d'OrlÃ©ans, Sainte-PÃ©tronille, and Saint-Pierre-de-l'ÃŽle-d'OrlÃ©ans.
Repertoire des Mariages de l'Ile d'Orleans: Paroisse Sainte-Famille 1666-1963; Paroisse Saint-Pierre:1679-1963; Paroisse Saint-Francoise 1679-1963; Paroisse Saint-Jean 1679-1963; Paroisse Sainte-Petronille 1872-1963; (Ordre Alphabetique). Ottawa/Ontario: Le Centre de Genealogie S.C. From the Quintin Publications Collection.