Leek Parish Registers, Part 1
Leek Parish Registers, Part 1. Leek was a pre-Norman parish, with its church and rector. The registers begin in 1634, but there are some extracts from the first and lost volume that dates from 1538-1634. These are listed in the itroduction to this Part 1. Part 1 then, covers the period of 1634 to 1695. It contains the baptism, marriage and burial records for that area and time. The records show that Leek was a very popular place for weddings. It also contains a list of the vicars of Leek. The Patent Rolls of Edward III show that in 1346 there was a trial as to a Corrody at Leek Abbey. It was then pleaded that the site of the Abbey was wholly in Staffordshire, but against the Abbot won his case; for the Abbey had been founded by an Earl of Chester who had held the lands "as of the honour of his sword of Chester." This looks like a remembrance of the site of Leek having once been reckoned as in the county of Chester, and seems to point to the Mark, from which the Mercians derived their name. That mark still runs down Gun hill to Leek and across Ball Haye Park and Stockwell Street almost on the dividing line between the clay and the red sandstone. A flake of sandstone cropping up here and there and called by the Britons leac or stone no doubt have the town its name.
Leek Parish Register, Part 1 Editor and Hon. Secretary: Percy W. L. Adams, F.S.A., Woore Manor, near Crewe. Privately Printed for the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society. 1919 From the Everton Library Collection.