New Zealand PO Directory 1892-93 (Wise)
New Zealand PO Directory 1892-93 (Wise). 1892.
The New Zealand Post Office Directory (Wise?s) 1892-93
Researchers are likely to find names and addresses listed in the following sections:
- colony-wide alphabetical directory
- district directories
- city street directories?Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington
- trades directory
Names can be found in the following sections sometimes accompanied with additional information:
- manufacturers of English goods for export to New Zealand
- banking and finance?bank managers
- legal?judges and magistrates, court officials, coroners, crown prosecutors, sheriffs, barristers and solicitors, justices of the peace
- insurance?company administrators
- educational?administrators, tertiary educators, head teachers, private school teachers
- medical?Otago University School of Medicine, medical associations, medical practitioners, hospital administrators, dentists, chemists
- pastoral and agricultural
- municipal?county, town and borough clerks, harbour masters, road and river boards
- government directories?elected members, ministers and government departmental administrators
Directories are one of the most effective ways of tracing members of a family, especially tradesmen. Many small businesses needed to ensure the public was aware of their activity and one of the better ways to do this in an age before media dominated was via a directory. The value of directories as a research tool is enhanced when no census material is available.
The Archive CD Books Project exists to make reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians, and to cooperate with local libraries, museums and record offices in providing money to renovate old books in their collection, and to donate books to their collections, where they will be preserved for future generations.