Australian Handbook 1904
Australian Handbook, 1904. (1904). 1012 pages packed with all kinds of useful and interesting information. The outline on the title page gives some idea of its contents and scope: "Australian Handbook (incorporating New Zealand, Fiji, and New Guinea) - Shippers, importers and professional Directory & business guide for 1904, 35th year of issue - Containing Calendar of notable events, Mail tables showing arrivals and departures of Australasian mails, British customs' tariff, postal regulations, Public amusements, public offices, members of parliament, etc., etc. Details concerning emigration to Australasia, Mining and land regulations, Telegraphic and postal arrangements between Great Britain and Australia, History, descriptive account, and statistical information of each state, New Zealand, Fiji and New Guinea, A gazetteer of the principal towns in Australia and New Zealand, Irrigation Colonial buyers' guide, Importers in Australasia, Banks, Anglo Australian companies, government debentures, Maps, Plans, etc."
The gazetteer alone is worth the purchase price. This covers well over 3000 towns and villages throughout Australia and New Zealand in nearly 300 pages. It gives "particulars as to situation, population, means of communication, hotels, churches, trade, manufactures, etc"
Other features include:
- many superb maps in colour which enlarge well on screen to show much fine detail not easily read directly from the original. There are maps for each state, most capital cities, each island of New Zealand, Fiji, New Guinea, the World - and a detailed map of London of 100 years ago
- a list of the newspapers published in Australasia, with "newspaper maps" for most states and each island of New Zealand showing .the positions of the various towns where there is a newspaper published.
- extensive New Zealand coverage throughout - including the gazetteer, maps and other historical and reference content
- significant coverage of Fiji and New Guinea
- a section on emigration with detailed information on fares, length of voyage
- guide to wages for various occupations in each state and NZ
- guide to prices of provisions etc and much more in each state and NZ.
- land regulations for each state and NZ
- Historical outline and chronology of events in Australian history
- railway maps of each state and NZ
- numerous advertisements
The Archive CD Books Project exists to make reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians, and to cooperate with local libraries, museums and record offices in providing money to renovate old books in their collection, and to donate books to their collections, where they will be preserved for future generations. Archive CD Books Australia.